Suppertime is a radio show broadcast from Prince George BC on Cfur 88.7. Combining glorious music and super food. Just eat it!Sundays 6pm-7pm live on 88.7 FM
Though it is March, there is still plenty of snow and cold wind to go around. Take some comfort and warmth in eating chicken pot pie and listening to cozy songs. This recipe makes about 8 small pies, or 2 big ones. I use chicken with bone in order to use the bones to make the stock for the recipe, if you do not have any chicken bones use what you have!
4 chicken things, bone in and skin on
3 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
2 onions, diced
4 cloves of garlic
½ cup of peas (optional)
2/4 cups of cream, half and half, or milk
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
Fresh sprig of rosemary
4 cups of chicken stalk
Puff pastry – 1 pkg
- First we cook the chicken. Turn oven on to 350. Heat up some oil in a pan along with a clove or 2 of peeled garlic over medium heat.
- Add the chicken skin side down. Let cook about 5 minutes. Flip over. Brown all sides nicely
- Throw chicken in oven for about 35 minutes or until juices run clear. With a bone inside it’ll take a little longer
- While the chicken is cooking, dice up all of your veggies
- Start sautéing all of you veggies minus the peas over medium heat, cook just until onions are beginning to clear and the veggies begin to soften. At this time add 2 cloves of minced garlic and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add some salt and pepper. Set aside
- Once chicken is done allow to rest for 10 minutes or so.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel all of the meat off and shred with your fingers
- THE SKIN! The skin should be golden brown, crunchy and delicious. Eat now or chop up into lovely little bits.
- Add the skin and the chicken to your pot of veggies.
- Add the bones to a pot and fill with about 4.5 cups of water
- Bring the bone water to a boil, once there reduce heat and put a lid on half way. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours. ( longer = better)
- Meanwhile, put your meat and veggies in the fridge,
- Once stock is done, melt the butter in a sauce pan over low-medium heat. Slowly incorporate flour, stirring so there is a lovely white paste. Add salt and pepper. Add the cream and stir everyone now and then until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes
- Add the stock and a sprig of fresh rosemary if you have. Bring to a boil, keep stirring until sauce has thickened again. About as thick so that when you dip a spoon in, it comes out covered.
- Bring out your veggies and meat and add your peas. Remove rosemary and add the sauce. Stir nicely. Now is time to fill some pies!
- Fill your mini pie shells or big pie shells with filling. Add puff pastry over top. Crunch down sides. Slit 2 lines in top to allow steam. Bake now or freeze!!
A comforting play list:
Grimes – Symphonia IX ( my wait is u) Beach Fossils – Window View
Beach House – Lazuli
Bob Dylan- Girl From The North Country
The Tragically Hip – Bobcaygeon
Bon Iver – Flume
Primitive Radio Gods – Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand
Arcade Fire – This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)
The Walkmen – Bows and Arrows
Radiohead – Blow Out (Acoustic)
Kevin Drew- Gang Bang Suicide
The Talking Heads – This Must Be The Place ( Naïve Melody)
Listen online: http://www.mixcloud.com/suppertime/
Meet the tasteful host, Jill, every Sunday @ 6pm and Friday @ 5pm