This week on Suppertime we are eating shrimp and grits ..(and okra) whilst listening to gritty frenetic songs that have that southern feel. This is a meal and playlist for swamp doddling through the night while you chase swamp monsters and beavers. And in case you can't find grits - look no further than the western swamps of the Bulk Barn. For the grits:
You can use polenta ( follow package instructions)...or if you venture to the westy woods to bulk barn and get grits ( aka cornmeal) do this:
1 cup of cornmeal
4 cups of water
dashes of salt
- bring all of the above to a boil over high heat. Stir lots!
- once boiling, reduce heat and continue stiring for 5 minutes.
- finish with lots of salt and pepper and butter
For the shrimp:
However many raw prawns you have
Salt & Pepper
- Cover your raw prawns in the above spices. I prefer heavy on the cumin light on the rest.
- Heat a pan over medium heat with oil and butter in it
- Put prawns in and cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until firm and white and pink
- Turn oven on to 425 C
- Cut okra into 1/3 inch chunks
- Put on a cookie sheet with oil, salt and pepper
- Cook for 10ish minutes or until goldy brownish
Eat this lovely meal all in a bowl! Top off with hot pepper jelly and or chili oil if you want.
Bad Way to Go - Lydia Loveless
See America Right - The Mountain Goats
Bed Rock - Shannon and the Clams
Roadside Wreck - Southern Culture on the Stilts
Wrong Side of A Gun - Nashville Pussy
Johnny - Ty Segall
I Got Drunk - Uncle Tupelo
Wynonna's Big Brown Beaver - Primus ( palate cleanser)
Whipping Post - The Allman Brothers Band
Mystifies Me - Son Volt
Star Witness - Neko Case
Hollywood Ending - Hayden
Vaseline Machine Gun - Leo Kotkke